Friday, September 19, 2008

Pears

Well, I didn't get to all the pears, but I did get to half. Last night, I ended up leaving the apple butter ingredients in the crock pot, then cooked it down a little more this morning. It worked great. The apple butter is velvety smooth and great on pancakes!

Tonight I got a batch of pear butter going in the crock pot. I also made a batch of "pear honey" which has pears, pineapple, lemon juice and sugar. Sounded odd, but I definitely had a spare 3 pounds of pears (more like a spare 20) so I went for it. It's actually pretty good! It looks like honey and is thick and sweet like honey. It's pretty and translucent in the jars. I'm going to serve it alongside the honey-honey for Rosh Hashanah.

I stashed the last 20 pounds or so of apples and pears in the spare fridge on baking sheets. I'll use the rest to make holiday breads and cakes during the coming week. As for what's for shabbat tomorrow, I haven't a clue, but I do know that there is challah, soup, and dessert in the freezer. Plenty of veggies from our csa. We'll manage somehow! I really hope that one of these days I can go back to my old schedule of:

Sunday, plan shabbat menu
Monday, make shopping list
Tuesday, shop
Wednesday, make dessert and challah
Thursday, cook side dishes
Friday, cook main dinner and lunch dishes

There... that's a goal for myself. Well, maybe I'll manage it a few years from now! :)

No comments: