Friday, November 14, 2008

The Menu

In honor of this week's parsha, we have been studying the middah of hachnasat orchim (welcoming guests). Avraham displayed this middah par excellence. And that in turn has inspired us to invite a whole bunch of guests for shabbat lunch. I know at least six are coming, and maybe a couple of others. I'm really looking forward to it. We've had one or two guests here and there but it's been a while since we had a really full shabbat table.

So, here's the menu!!

DINNER
Challah
Chick pea tomato rice soup with rye croutons*
Poached salmon with aioli
Rosemary Garlic Lamb
Green salad
Steamed cracked wheat
Baked squash
Apple cake

LUNCH
same as above, but no lamb, and:
Pineapple kugel
Hazelnut apple chicken wraps
Sun-dried tomato puff pastry pinwheels
Chocolate cake with (tofu) frosting

*I bought three HUGE loaves of day-old bread at the local kosher bagel store. Much to my dismay, when I got home I discovered that I had bought rye bread. Rye bread??? I like rye bread fine, but three HUGE loaves??? What would I do with it all? Well, tonight I made croutons, and let me tell you those were surprisingly some of the best croutons I'd ever had. I thought they would be okay, but they're scrumptious - better than rye bread itself.

No comments: