Friday, July 10, 2009

Random Thought

I've just been musing on and off today whether we could stock our pantry and refrigerator with almost no pre-packaged items. Some things, like flour, we buy in such large bags I don't think it's practical to purchase them un-bagged. And shortening and oil would be tricky I think, unless there is a bulk oil dispenser somewhere (?). So many things we could just make ourselves, or do without. Of course, then there's dairy products. And soy sauce. And rice vinegar. Though other vinegars we could make ourselves without much trouble, especially apple cider vinegar... But we could nix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salsas (which we already do ourselves), many other things, I'm sure... I'll have to go through the pantry. I'd love to buy everything possible in bulk or just make it ourselves as needed. I'll be giving this some more thought. But it may get put on hold if we move to Pittsburgh NEXT MONTH!

No comments: