Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Recipe: TVP Bean Burgers

We've been using our new beef- and chicken-flavored TVP products lately. I'm definitely agreeing with what I've read over and over - that TVP is no great shakes all by itself, but when used to complement either real meat or another strongly-flavored protein source (like beans) it tastes pretty good. I always make giant batches of re-not-fried beans and freeze them, so this recipe is easy to throw together. Everyone (gasp!) thought it was delicious. Here's the recipe:

1 cup textured vegetable protein (I used the beef flavor)
3/4 cup boiling water
2 T. catsup
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. soy sauce
1/4 cup flour
1/2 t. oregano
15 ounces refried beans
4 ounces cheese, diced

Combine the TVP, boiling water, and catsup. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Combine all the other ingredients. Drop by patty-sized spoonfuls into a hot pan. Cook until crispy brown.

I served it with steamed corn on the cob and a salad that had spinach, arugula, radicchio, and cherry tomatoes with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and kosher salt (I think this kind of salt is the best for salads). The whole meal was really perfect. We've been upping our quantities of greens lately (thanks to that terrific salad book!) and I've enjoyed it so much.

I've decided to post my favorite recipes here periodically, partly just for my own record-keeping! And hoping that someone else will get to discover a new recipe too. :) Now, if I am good, I will go to bed right now.

No comments: